Commercial Insurance

What is Commercial Insurance?

The type of insurance policy you need will depend on the type of business you run in Cornwall and whether you operate from premises, and if so what type of premises you operate from.

Whether you run a shop or retail outlet in Cornwall (from premises or online) a shop insurance policy could be tailored to cover your needs. This is where Insurance Broker Cornwall can help.

Commercial InsuranceCover can include buildings, stock, accidental damage, glass replacement, employers liability, public liability, fixtures and fittings and Commercial Legal Expenses, Loss of money, goods in transit, business interruption, accounts receivable, loss of licences and terrorism cover.

Whereas if you run a small Cornish business, wholesaler, engineer or manufacturer then a Commercial Combined Business insurance policy can be tailored to meet your requirements and cover you for the insurable risks associated with the day-to-ay running of your business.


A Commercial Combined Business insurance policy encompasses a range of insurance covers such as:

  • Employers Liability insurance
  • Public Liability insurance
  • Products Liability insurance
  • Business Interruption
  • Commercial Legal Expenses
  • Buildings insurance
  • Contents insurance
  • Fixture and Fittings
  • Plant & Machinery
  • Portable Hand Tools
  • Electronics and Computer equipment
  • Goods in Transit
  • Professional Indemnity Insurance
  • Money cover
  • Engineering insurance
  • Engineering inspection to help you comply with HSE……
  • Personal Accident
  • Sickness
  • Terrorism
  • Directors and Officers

The main two types of Insurance you should first think about are Public and Employers Liability Insurance.  Below you can find a detailed description of what these are:


Employers Liability Insurance

Usually if you have someone working for you, whether paid or unpaid, you are required by law to have Employers Liability insurance in place. It’s also worth noting that a limited company with 2 directors or more (whether working in business or not) is also required to have employers Liability insurance in place because a limited company is considered to a be a separate legal entity in its own right.

The majority of Employers Liability insurance policies provide £10,000,000 as standard cover for legal costs and compensation and often cover legal costs for Health & Safety.

Typical examples of a claim could be where an employee gets injured or becomes ill whilst working for you and submits a claim for compensation.

On top of this, if you are required by law to have Employers Liability insurance in place and fail to do so you risk being fined up to £2,500 for every day that you don’t have Employers Liability insurance in place.


Public Liability Insurance

Public Liability insurance typically protects you against accidental injury and property damage claims brought against you by third parties i.e. customers, members of the public or clients you may visit.

Public Liability insurance should be mandatory for anyone in business as it helps ensure businesses have adequate protection in the event of such a claim. You may also find that some of your clients require you to have Public Liability insurance before you can carry out work for them.

If you found this interesting please read our information on Motor Insurance.


This site, InsuranceBrokerCornwall, has been created and provided by Liquid Lava. We are an independent marketing website and are not authorised to give advice. We are not liable for any advice provided by, or obtained through a third party. The information published on this website is for information purposes only.

Care has been taken to ensure that the information is correct, but we neither warrant, represent nor guarantee the contents of information, nor do we accept any responsibility for errors, inaccuracies, omissions or any inconsistencies herein. We do not give personal advice and the information provided is only to provide an overview of the areas of finance. Anyone considering taking any action may wish to seek advice from an Insurance Broker registered with the Financial Conduct Authority. We cannot be held liable for any losses incurred.